MassCVO © Massachusetts CVO Team 2017 - Send email to Contact email with questions or comments about this site
Mass. Commercial Vehicle Operations
Moving Massachusetts Forward > RMV-DOR- DEP-DPU-DOT/Permits-MSP-TAM-FMCSA
This is a Government website sponsored by the Massachusetts Commercial Vehicle Operations (MassCVO) Agencies and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The purpose of this website is to enhance the support services Massachusetts provides to its Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) customers. We’ve provided a number of resources here to help you find answers to your questions quickly and efficiently.
MassCVO Partner Agencies
- Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) - The RMV Division is responsible for operator licensing and vehicle registrations. Transactions may be processed online (if applicable) or at any of the RMV branch offices across the Commonwealth. The RMV also oversees commercial and non-commercial vehicle inspection stations and the International Registration Plan (IRP) program.
- Mass Department of Revenue (DOR) - The mission of the Massachusetts Department of Revenue is to achieve maximum compliance with the tax, child support and municipal finance laws of the Commonwealth. The DOR also oversees the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) program.
- Mass Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) - The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) works to fulfill Article 97 of the Massachusetts Constitution, which guarantees the people's right to clean air and water as well as the natural, scenic, historic, and aesthetic qualities of their environment. DEP is also responsible for the regulation of several commercial vehicle activities including licensing of hazardous waste transporters, vehicle emissions inspections, and monitoring of commercial vehicle idling.
- Massachusetts State Police (MSP) - Agency in charge of enforcing safety and regulatory laws.
- MassDOT Highway (Permits) - Agency responsible for issuance of permits on Commonwealth roadways.
- Mass Department of Public Utilities (DPU) - Division is responsible for the safety of equipment and operation of 250 motor coach companies, including 5,000 coaches and transit authority buses, provides annual certification for 20,000 school bus drivers. Moreover, the Division regulates commercial common carriers that perform residential household goods moves within the Commonwealth. The Division also administers the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program to license interstate for-hire transportation companies. The Division administers the Commercial Driver's License ("CDL") road test to those individuals seeking to operate a school bus or motor bus.
- US DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) - FMCSA’s primary mission is to prevent commercial motor vehicle-related fatalities and injuries by ensuring safety in motor carrier operations through strong enforcement of safety regulations; targeting high-risk carriers and commercial motor vehicle drivers; improving safety information systems and commercial motor vehicle technologies; strengthening commercial motor vehicle equipment and operating standards; and increasing safety awareness.
Vehicle registrations for commercial plates will expire in November or December. Don’t delay - renew now online and avoid the rush. The RMV encourages eligible customers to renew online here. Customers will find new website improvements which offer a simple, efficient online renewal transaction.